Despite worryingly high unemployment rates - the UK unemployment rate stands at 8.3%1 - the potential impact of illness of injury is greater.
Income Protection can protect your clients against the financial impact of long-term illness or injury; here are three reasons why it's as important as redundancy cover.
1. Long-term illness or injury can have a bigger impact on your clients' finances than redundancy
- 50% of workers who become unemployed can expect to re-enter the workplace within 12 months, compared with only 26% of those leaving work due to illness or injury.
- Around a third of those who become unable to work due to illness fall into poverty within two years.
2. Long-term illness doesn't just affect the individual
- 15% of people leave work within a year of their spouse leaving work for health reasons.
- 28% of people with spouses who leave work for health reasons reduce their working hours in the first year and 37% have reduced them within 2 years.
3. Statistically, your client's more likely to need Income Protection
The chances of your clients suffering a long-term illness or injury (and needing Income Protection cover) are higher than their chances of being made redundant:
- 11% of employees have been off work for 6 months or more due to illness or injury.
- 1 in 5 people run the risk of developing a longstanding illness before they reach retirement age.
Call Steve Allen now to discuss your options 0161 766 1927
1129.07 million people were in work in July to September 2011 according to the labour force survey. Source: www.hrmguide.co.uk/jobmarket/unemployment.htm